On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 05:43:49PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:

>  that seems like a bit of odd logic. The logs are emitted to syslog with
> the same thought in mind - that someone will read them - but that is
> also not necessarily true. But I would not want to see us discarding
> syslog, either.

We have a range of utilities that perform useful syslog parsing. The
fact that most of them then seem to pass that output to sendmail leaves
me a little less convinced that anyone pays the slightest bit of
attention to them.

More realistically, we install syslog because it gives us debug
information that we (as developers) wouldn't otherwise be able to get.

--
Matthew Garrett | mj...@srcf.ucam.org