On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Jon Masters <jonat...@jonmasters.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 07:23 +0100, pbrobin...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Jon Masters <jonat...@jonmasters.org>
>> wrote:
>
>> > I have an MTA installed because I expect to get emailed logs, and root@
>> > does go somewhere. Now, there are a couple of things I should admit:
>> >
>> > 1). I did replace the out-of-the-box MTA, because it was sendmail. I
>> > don't actually care too much about using sendmail, I happened to have
>> > configuration files that just work, because the entire mail subsystem
>> > wasn't rewritten recently, so I could just copy those files in place.
>> >
>> > 2). I care more about the "server" experience on this machine than
>> > pretty GUI stuff. I know that's no longer the default here :( I also
>> > like to think about what I want to base upon Fedora in the future.
>>
>> But my point still remains that it doesn't work out of the box and you
>> have to do stuff to make it work, so if your in that situation its not
>> hard to do "yum install someMTA"
>
> To be clear, I'm in the "but I don't want Fedora to be just a GNOME
> desktop" camp. So I see removing the MTA by default as just another step
> in the wrong direction. Even if I will replace it with something else. I
> know I'm not alone in that particular train of thought.

Its got nothing to do with gnome what so ever. I don't see what that
has to do with the discussion. I actually want it so its easy to make
tiny appliances and routers without having to manually strip a whole
lot of crap out. As I mentioned above there's nothing to stop it being
included in another comps group, but moving it out of core AND base as
being mandatory (when its not).

Peter