On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 7:33 PM Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 05:31:56PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > > ○ Every changes to dist-git is done via pull-requests
> > Erm, no thank you.  Pull requests are a terrible workflow.
>
> It's definitely the winning workflow in the open source world today,
> particularly for smaller and drive-by contributions, which I think we'd
> like to encourage. And there _are_ real tracking and review benefits to
> having everything go through that workflow.

As others in the thread have pointed out, mandatory pull requests just
make no sense for most single-maintainer projects, which most packages
probably are.

> Do you have an alternative proposal?

As long as PRs are opt-in, for example, if you explicitly *want* to
trigger some tests or have somebody review your changes, then I'm all
for it. The Stewardship SIG is using that exact workflow right now.

But forcing people to open and triage Pull Requests for every single
packaging change is *crazy* and will probably make it impossible for
me to continue maintaining the (pretty big) number of packages I own.

Fabio