On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 10:43 AM Aleksandar Kurtakov
<akurt...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 10:13 AM John M. Harris Jr <joh...@splentity.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday, October 13, 2019 11:42:41 PM MST Aleksandar Kurtakov wrote:

>> > IMHO it's exactly the opposite. E.g. Eclipse is moving to a module because
>> > it requires Maven 3.6 which is available as a module only. If this was
>> > implemented earlier we wouldn't have bothered making Eclipse module. To
>> > continue if this is delayed osgi/swt apps which depend on parts of eclipse
>> > will find it easier to just make their apps modules too and so on.

>> It seems that you just proved my point.. You decided to make Eclipse a module
>> because somebody decided to make Maven 3.6 a module, instead of just shipping
>> the latest stable version of Maven as a traditional package.

(snip)

> You seem to totally miss the point - there is no one even trying to ship
> Maven as a traditional package so what should we do give up on having
> anything built with Maven in the distro? Or someone will jump and do the
> needed work? I keep hearing these arguments but I'm yet to see someone
> actually stepping in to the work.
> This is clear example of "the one who does decides".

You seem to have missed that, in fact, people *did* show up and
started doing the work to keep the non-modular Java stack in a working
state. That was *the whole point* of starting the Stewardship SIG.

And arguably, the non-modular stack might soon be (or already is?) in
better shape than the modular branches. Only a few major updates are
still missing, among them the update to maven 3.6, which we've just
not started working on yet, since it's a big update that affects
almost all other Java packages.

Fabio