On Wed, 2019-11-06 at 00:20 -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> This only works to a limited degree in Gentoo, and even then, if you
> want a stable system, you can't really install different versions of
> packages as X version of Y package will break package Z, generally
> not in the ebuild either.

Yeah I talked about this in a few other posts. When you offer parallel
availability without *full* parallel installability (Gentoo only
parallel installs certain packages), conflicts are inevitable. This is
true for Gentoo, but is also true for modularity as it exists today.

Nix might be the only solution that avoids this since it has the most
advanced form of parallel installability. I've not used Nix before, but
it sounds pretty cool.