Frantisek Zatloukal wrote:
> How is statically linked libpython hack? It's just a different way to do
> it, isn't it?

It means you are shipping 2 copies of the Python interpreter, one statically
linked into the python3 binary and one as a shared library. This is much
less elegant than shipping a single shared copy of the code.

You also need to actually build all the code twice to actually get the
performance improvements, because if you just statically link the PIC
objects (built for the shared library) into the binary, the performance will
not noticeably improve.

> And if toolchain needs some improving, fine, but why should we have lower
> performance and keep waiting on it if there is a solution available right
> now?

Because sometimes it is better to wait a bit for an elegant solution than to
rush out a quick hack that we then end up stuck with.

> And size increase? It's so tiny, I can't imagine why should that matter at
> all.

We are talking about megabytes! That is not tiny at all!

Each size increase always gets filed off with the same "it's so tiny"
excuse, except that several of those "tiny" size increases (even the ones
that are actually tiny, in the kilobyte range) end up adding up to dozens of
megabytes of bloat, to the point where our live images keep growing and
growing, increasing download sizes for all users, and making some of them
unsuitable for the physical media they were originally intended for. (CD
size seems already no longer reachable for most images, but if this trend
continues, we will end up blowing DVD size as well!)

The Fedora 31 KDE Spin is 1 854 996 480 bytes. A decade ago, the size target
was CD size, i.e., 700 000 000 bytes. Then, the size target was bumped to
1 000 000 000 bytes, and it went upwards from there. Now, the size has grown
by a factor of almost 3 in only a decade! So I am really really fed up of
all those "so tiny, I can't imagine why should that matter at all" size
increases.

> Also, this is change to Python ecosystem in Fedora, it does not depend on
> Ruby, Perl and others.

I never claimed otherwise. (Though, if those decide to implement the same
hack, the bloat will become even worse.)

        Kevin Kofler