On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 8:36 AM Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@gnome.org> said:
> > On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 8:03 am, Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net> wrote:
> > >How does that work with single-user mode, rescue mode, etc.?
> >
> > I assume single-user mode does not work. Rescue mode certainly does
> > not work. It asks for a root password, but root account is locked.
>
> That should be considered a bug IMHO...

I brought this up ages ago. Basically emergency.target and
rescue.target have a hard requirement on root, and there aren't enough
services present to authenticate some other user (I guess?). And on
Workstation, it was long ago decided to not require setting up a root
user at install time *if* an (admin) user were setup. And that was
followed up more recently by eliminating the install time user setup
entirely, on Workstation edition.

So...it's a difficult problem to solve. Mayyyybee systemd-homed is in
a position to solve this by having early enough authentication
capability by rescue.target time that any admin user can login?

--
Chris Murphy