On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 04:57:16PM -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
> > Regardless of different opinions about aggressiveness, having policies
> > and no enforcement makes no sense. Either the polices are too
> > aggressive and we need to change them, or they are not and we need to
> > enforce them.
> That seems like a rather poor way to think about policy in general, and
> I have some disagreements with it in this specific case as well.  In
> general, you're not considering that it may be worth having policies
> reflect our *ideal* situation, and acknowledge that they don't always
> fit the real world precisely.

That last thing seems _very_ "Fedora" to me. Be human-driven rather than
rules-driven.

But I also do understand the desire for clarity and enforcement. Keeping
quality high by sticking to the rules is also very much in the Fedora
Project nature.

Especially because we have a lot of people from different cultures,
backgrounds, languages, and ways of thinking, a universal balance is
impossible and just expecting people to understand one seems like a recipe
for this kind of conflict.

So, I think perhaps explicitly changing the policy to be a little more
humane _is_ the best course. I got a complaint about a notice sent on
Christmas -- I know not everyone celebrates that (and for some of us, hey,
time off to do Fedora stuff!), but I think it wouldn't hurt to have some
wording requesting people enforcing the policy to remember the humans on the
other end.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>