On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 05:41:53PM -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 02:48:22PM -0500, Robbie Harwood wrote:
>
> > If you don't have the time to make a new build once every year, you
> > shouldn't be a packager, full stop.
>
> I think that's a fair point, but not at all the issue here.  I
> specifically want not to rebuild this, which is why I *have* rebuilt all
> the other packages I own that were earlier on this and similar lists.
>
> [skipping ahead just a little...]
>
> > We are talking about crypto-related packages here; being able to
> > rebuild them and be confident in their contents is arguably more
> > important than any other kind of package.
>
> I see your point in general, though I don't agree in this case.  The
> build is reproducible from source with the earlier gnu-efi-devel, we
> know exactly what's in it, and (as you know) if there are any serious
> issues like a CVE for the OpenSSL build involved which would effect it,
> I don't think there's going to be difficulty remaining aware.  There's
> no reason not to be confident regarding the contents.

> That said, the current build issue in this case is my fault, and fairly
> trivial, all said and done.

In other words, the amount of time spent arguing on this list is more
time than fixing the issue would require. This is why I find your
complaints disingenuous: there were multiple options that could be
taken *within* the existing rules (like simply fixing the FTBFS and
rebuilding, or closing the bug with a message that you fixed it
locally but will not rebuild in koji 'cause of reasons, or requesting
a fesco exception which would almost certainly be granted). Instead, we
are all supposed to treat this one package as a special snowflake, with
a maintainer who is above policy and can't be expected to reply on
bugzilla, i.e. the standard communication channel in Fedora.

Please try to understand that people working on Fedora at scale
(i.e. people doing mass rebuilds, or implementing system-wide changes,
or simply people who try to fix bugs in others' packages) don't have
infinite time to handle each package as a special snowflake and *need*
automation to do things in reasonable time. And yes, every FTBFS
package and every FTBFS bug is an issue that drains the time of other
packagers, because it breaks mass rebuilds and mass package changes
and bug zapping campaigns.

Zbyszek