On Thu, 09 Jan 2020 16:51:36 +0100
Nicolas Mailhot via devel <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Le 2020-01-09 15:02, Stephen John Smoogen a écrit :
>
> > I have seen something like this happen in the past. I think it was
> > around Fedora 18? kernel time frame.. on certain Lenovo T440? if you
> > did a dd to a usb key, keyboard and mouse would be like you pointed
> > out.
>
> I get this all the time, with or without swap, with or without heavy
> copying. The kernel does not seem to understand the difference
> between latency-sensitive usb input and throughput-sensitive non
> input usb traffic.

I have been noticing occasional occurences of the "key released" event
after a "key pressed" event not reaching the keypress repeat code in
time, so that a normal typing sssssuddenllly contains sommme repeated
letters which I have actually typed in a normal time sequence for
single letters.

The one thing which I have noticed which appears to be statistically
related  to that issue is whether I am running in a "GNOME" session or
a "GNOME on Xorg" session. The first time I have observed this was when
I tried "GNOME" (without Xorg) for the first time, and when I from time
to time tried "GNOME" (without Xorg) instead of my usual "GNOME on
Xorg" session, that behaviour occured again.

In Fedora 31, the "GNOME" (non-Xorg) session delays the "key released"
events significantly less often than it did a year or two ago, but it
still happens occasionally.

I would not link this issue to some kernel version. From my POV, a
"GNOME" (on Wayland without Xorg) session appears to use the rest of
the software stack in a different way than a "GNOME on Xorg" (on
Wayland) session, but where in that software stack I could look for the
issue, I have no idea whatsoever.