On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 at 19:58, Stephen John Smoogen <smo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> From
>> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Package_maintainer_responsibilities/#_deal_with_reported_bugs_in_a_timely_manner
>>  :
>>
>>     It is recommended that non-coder packagers should find
>>     co-maintainers who are familiar with the programming language used
>>     by their package(s)
>>

> That rule like many others was written and worked when Fedora was a small
> band of people where everyone knew each other.  However over time, the mix of
> people have changed and the ability to find a co-maintainer who has the the
> time and energy to help out is rare.

It is less due to a changing "mix of people" but more because of
experienced people from the FPC or FESCo sitting together and coming
up with helpful SHOULD items rather than strict MUST items. Above
guideline is much longer than what was quoted here and covers more
cases than what was quoted here. The quoted sentence is ripped out of
its context. Above guideline is still valid and useful, and I assume
that FESCo still agrees with it, but it is about bugs in general,
including simple FTBFS issues and basic code customizations for
Fedora. As obvious as it may be to ask for help when facing an issue
you cannot fix yourself, without such guidelines, many people would
shy away from becoming a package maintainer.