On 3/26/20 2:35 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 02:00:49PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:

[cutting to the chase]

- a one-shot service: this is easier to implement, it just needs to
   happen in one place. The hard part is making sure that the machine
   does not get reboot while the upgrade is happening. This is in
   particular a problem with VMs and containers. The rebuild should be
   wrapped with systemd-inhibit and other guards to make it hard to
   interrupt.

An interrupted database rebuild is harmless, has always been. Just
as long as the one-shot service only decommissions itself once
successfully completed, there's no damage done, there will always be
the next reboot.

OK, then I think this is the way to go. (A libdnf plugin as suggested
elsewhere in the thread would work too, but a one-shot service seems
much easier to implement and test.)

Yeah, it's a potential implementation of something. What we really need to discuss though is what exactly that something is.

Based on this exchange and https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/pull-request/954 comments so far, it seems to be:

"Rpm database is converted automatically on all upgrade paths, unless manual steps to opt-out are taken."

Right?

That's all right and even preferred by me.

        - Panu -