On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:41:56AM -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 10:54, Tomasz Torcz <to...@pipebreaker.pl> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 02:08:57PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > But why?! It's not like rpm is massive on Windows Server... Isn't
> > > good support for Linux absolutely the most important thing?
> >
> >   Well, RPM is a package manager on AIX.  IBM/Redhat may want
> > to keep AIX alive ;-)
> >

> My understanding is that is not the only place it is used. A Linux only
> version would end being another fork.. I doubt it matters much as it did 10
> or 20 years ago.. but it would still be a splitting of community resources
> versus a growing of community resources. Not all the world can be as free
> as systemd :).

Well, OK, but let's consider that Linux installations are probably
something like 99.9%. IMO it's totally appropriate to implement an
atomic path for linux, and implement a non-atomic fallback for the
systems that need that. We're not talking about anything big here, rather
a ~10 line function.

Zbyszek