On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 8:08 AM Julen Landa Alustiza <
jla...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> 20/3/30 08:40(e)an, James Cassell igorleak idatzi zuen:
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 29, 2020, at 11:47 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:

> >> I'm going to start with the delivery of this decision sucked. If I
> >> hadn't been alerted to look for this by other folks due to my advocacy
> >> and community building work around Pagure, I would *not* have known
> >> that the decision had been made. This is in contrast to the *big deal*
> >> that was made about starting this "decision process". I don't know if
> >
> > Indeed, it seems like the lead got buried. I, too, had missed the
> announcement. I guess I'll make more effort to read these weekly status
> updates.
>
> From the original blow post:
> https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/git-forge-requirements/
>
> > How will information be gathered and disseminated?
> >
> > It is recommended that both Fedora Council and CentOS Board gather
> input and present their concerns in a manner that is consistent with how
> their communities work. The RHEL and CPE requirements will be gathered
> through Red Hat communication mechanisms and presented publicly via a
> HackMD file to ensure transparency in their source.

We published the full requirements gathered from all stakeholders alongside
the blog

> This will be
> published and distributed in due course. Additionally, a live video call
> and associated IRC meetings will be held and advertised in advance to
> discuss the requirements, talk about concerns and address any questions.

We felt that the discussions came to a natural conclusion for each
stakeholder group. I should have returned to that thread and updated folks
that we had taken all the requirements in, that's on me, you have my
apologies.

> > We want transparency to be at the heart of this decision.
>
> Good promise, where are all those? No discussion, no advances, no proper
> information dissemination, nothing :(
>

> This announcement is not even on the first position on communityblog. I
> was expecting at least the same announcement visibility level for the
> final announcement that we had for the initial one: first position on
> communityblog blog + exclusive threads on the mailing lists.

I can't speak to how the community blog structures it's priority queue but
I opened the mailing thread this morning due to the weekend.

> [...]
> >> projects that exist under its umbrella. When you look at the openSUSE
> >> landing page, the distribution and major software projects under the
> >> umbrella are all broadcasted there. It makes it so much easier to
> >> discover and generate interest. I'm not saying I love every aspect of
> >> the openSUSE marketing. Far from it! But this is one thing they do
> >> right that we do terribly wrong. And then we sit back and wonder why
> >> our projects fail to generate interest beyond a few folks in Fedora
> >> itself. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. This is something we need to
> >> fix for *all* our projects: present and future.
> >>
> >> In the end, I think the biggest disappointment of this process is that
> >> it feels like it demonstrates that Fedora leadership and management is
> >> not as committed to its mission and vision[3] as I hoped it was. I
> >> realize that I should not be surprised by this. Most of the leadership
> >> and management are no longer the idealistic people they were when they
> >> first became involved. And it's even harder to be idealistic when it's
> >> so easy to give in when you work for "open source company" that
> >> increasingly uses proprietary software to manage its workflow (to be
> >> fair, I think at this point virtually all major companies do this,
> >> which more or less demonstrates the amoral nature of these entities).
> >> Maybe I'm just an old remnant of a bygone era, but I personally remain
> >> somewhat idealistic, even as I have progressed over the years. I also
> >> remain hopeful that other members of the community are of similar
> >> mind. And perhaps this is a bit of a fool's hope, but I hope the CPE
> >> team reconsiders their decision, or at least would be willing to
> >> provide more context on the gaps they felt pushed them over so they
> >> could be prioritized for Pagure development (and maybe we can develop
> >> them fast enough so that we don't have to switch...).
> >>
> >> I think this is also an important indicator that Open Source has *not*
> >> won and it is *not* the default. People who keep saying otherwise need
> >> to seriously look hard at the landscape and realize that we have a
> >> long way to go before Open Source becomes the true default. It
> >> behooves us to become cognizant of this and push for freedom whenever
> >> and wherever we can.
> >>
> >> As for me? Well, I will do my best to try to help develop the Pagure
> >> community. I'm still committed to assisting the Free Software
> >> Foundation and other communities with using and contributing to
> >> Pagure. I hope others within the community will consider helping too.
> >> Pagure provides unique features that do not exist in any other forge,
> >> in large part because it is driven by an ideal that open data and
> >> freedom should be core tenants of software project management. And
> >> hey, I hear whispers of new Pagure instances being set up all the
> >> time! We're doing something right here, and it'd be a shame to
> >> squander it.
> >>
> >> Heh, the irony is that I started using and contributing to Pagure

Leigh Griffin

Engineering Manager

Red Hat Waterford <https://www.redhat.com/>

Communications House