On 3/30/20 7:45 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 12:41:08PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
...snip...

No such things needed at this time. The database change is a separate change
and does NOT come bundled with RPM 4.16, we'll only even consider switching
that once 4.16 has had a proper shakedown.

ok, great.

In either case, it may be hard to have cycles for this while datacenter
move is happening. It would help if we had a ballpark at least for when
it will land / some folks willing to get bootstrapping working in koji.

Or what would you think of the idea of landing it in rawhide, but
keeping default bdb until after we have the move done and can upgrade
builders to f32?

This was the plan all along: the dust of RPM 4.16 landing in rawhide needs
to settle first before any database changes are considered, excact schedule
depending on all manner of things. I thought this was clear from the SQLite
change proposal but guess not.

Sorry if it was, perhaps I just missed that. ;(

If it was up to us only, I recon we'd be looking to switch over to sqlite
somewhere between 2-4 weeks from the time 4.16 lands in rawhide but our
schedule is flexible here. What ballpark dates would we be looking at with
the datacenter move and builder upgrade?

ok, 2-4 weeks from tomorrow would be between the 14th and the 28th?

Fedora 32 preferred release date is the 21st. I'm really not sure we
will have cycles to update all the builders in less than a week.
Whats the impact of using rawhide rpm on f31 builders? Will there be
deps/issues ?

The soname doesn't change and no dependencies on any rawhide latest-and-greatest otherwise, so from that side there shouldn't be any issues.

The only real incompatibility should be on the spec parse side - the bare word vs quoted strings thing in specs (as explained in my heads-up message), which affects a handful of packages but is also trivial for packagers to fix if they encounter it.

We probibly won't move to f32 on the builders until we are installing
new ones in the new datacenter and switching to those. But I very leary
of also replacing rpm on them at the same time... I guess it could work
and we could always back it out if not. That would be the last week of
may or so that we switch to those.

So, I guess the two windows are: as soon as it looks ok with f31
builders or last week or may/first week of june with f32. Or late june
when we are done moving things.

I could live with switching at beginning of May, but end of May / sometime in June is terribly late in the cycle for this. So if choosing between these, it'd kinda have to be with f31 builders. OTOH there are various other possibilities too, including but probably not limited to:

a) Switch in two stages: override the database to bdb on builders, change rawhide on our own schedule and then remove builder override when it suits infra
b) See if the copr bootstrap is usable now in koji
c) Just leave the builders alone and see what happens. In theory it should all just work regardless as long as all installations are done from outside of the chroot.

In any case, we wont be switching anything at all before we have a working agreement with infra over the steps.

        - Panu -