Le mercredi 01 avril 2020 à 11:30 +0100, Leigh Griffin a écrit :

> To distill it down:
>
> - Gitlab has more features that are needed right now for our
> stakeholder group
> - Gitlab has an entire company dedicated to roadmap features, we do
> not.

Unfortunately, Gitlab’s roadmap is also conflicting with Fedora
objectives. The bread and butter of Gitlab is intermediating between
devs and end users, culling free software intermediaries like
distributions, and positionning itself in their stead. That is unlikely
to result in any commitment to making distribution workflows work.

That would not be a problem if the disintermediation worked, but like
many actors Gitlab sees the $$$ and power in being the
desintermediator, and does not care if the result is deffective, as
long as $$$ and power flows its way.

At heart, Fedora is a tooling project. It’s a collective of people that
chose to use a specific integration toolchain. Anything involved in
creating Fedora packages cuts deep into the project core. (unlike, say,
calendaring).

It’s easy to forget this when making tooling decisions,
because it is so pervasive, most do not see it anymore. Tooling is
anything but accessory to the project.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot