On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 9:42 PM Randy Barlow
<bowlofe...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 4/3/20 4:41 PM, Leigh Griffin wrote:
> > We didn't quash communication for reasons already mentioned. We didn't
> > facilitate it is a more accurate assessment, for which we have
> > acknowledged and apologized.
>
> You certainly didn't engage with the community. Fedora has a change
> process, and every other significant change goes through it. Sure, not
> everyone is happy with the results of every decision, but there is at
> least open discussion. That open discussion often influences the
> decision. You didn't do that here, and the only communication of the
> decision was buried in an e-mail that many people don't read. That
> communication was also a decision, not an invitation for discussion.
> There is no process now for discussion to influence the decision, a
> cornerstone of open development.
>
> This is not open.

I'd like to point out *every other major infrastructure change* has
gone through the change process, debated publicly, and approved by
FESCo before implementing:

* Merged Core and Extras in our CVS:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureMergeSCM
* Deployment of Koji:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureNewBuildSystem
* Deployment of Bodhi:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureUpdateSystem
* Deployment of Dist-Git: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dist_Git_Proposal
* Koji signed repos: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/KojiSignedRepos
* Deployment of Pagure:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ArbitraryBranching
* Deployment of MBS: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ModuleBuildService
* Added Modular Compose: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ModularCompose
* Added Zchunk repodata: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Zchunk_Metadata
* Gated Rawhide: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/GatingRawhidePackages
* Dropped i686 content:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Noi686Repositories
* Fedora active user metrics:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DNF_Better_Counting
* Using Taiga for the Change proposals:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/fedora-change-wrangler
* Enabling modules in the regular buildroot:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Modules_In_Non-Modular_Buildroot

If we were to consider this as the requisite community discussion and
the decision as a "proposal", then the resounding negative feedback
would be sufficient to *not* do this without going back to the drawing
board and improving the proposal.

But of course, that's not what is happening. And that's a problem in
itself. We accepted the deviation in procedure for Fedora
infrastructure changes for *this* change because there was a described
process that was considered functionally equivalent. But then *that*
process was not followed. You've effectively shattered the trust with
the community that you attempted to create with this.