On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 6:09 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 5:56 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com>
> wrote:

> > I've just published a fourth version[1] of the ELN proposal. With a
> > lot of input from Miro Hrončok, I think I've finally been able to
> > clarify some of the points that we were getting hung up on.
> >
> > Changes in this version of the proposal[2]:
> >
> > * Improve our explanation of why we are doing ELN in the first place
> > * Clarify the relationship with Rawhide
> > * Better describe what happens if packages don't build on ELN
> > * Explain our plan for when to use conditionals (this was getting a
> > larger share of the conversation than it warranted because we didn't
> > do a good job of explaining that they should be the exception and not
> > the rule)
> > * Clarify that the time limit on PRs is only for determining if the
> > maintainer is responsive. If they reply, the timer is cleared.
> > * Fixed the question about upstream features to make it clear that
> > what we meant is that new features should go upstream first, not be
> > implemented as a fork in ELN
> > * Added a section explaining how we will deal with side-tags
> > * Make it clear that we don't want to diverge wherever possible and
> > that any planned divergence should be discussed with the ELN SIG ahead
> > of time
> > * Cleaned up the contingency plan section.
> >
> > I hope that these changes will make our position more clear. Thank you
> > to everyone who has contributed to this discussion. I think the
> > feedback has been very valuable and I sincerely appreciate it.
> >

> This version of the proposal is nearly perfect, in my view.
>
> There are a couple of things I think should change:
>
> * The DistTag should be versioned. Either .eln.elX (e.g. .eln.el9),
> .elnX (e.g. .eln9), or just plain .elX (e.g. .el9).
> * Likewise, I think the Koji tags should be versioned too.
>
> I've personally been burned enough times by not having versioned
> DistTags for personal rebuilds that I would strongly suggest you
> reconsider having unversioned ones.

Would you mind explaining some of the situations in which you were burned?
I’m not ruling this out, but I’d like a clear justification if we were to
change something.

> Finally, there is no adequate explanation for why ELN content can't go
> out to the mirrors like Rawhide content does. I'd vastly prefer that
> simply to have similar levels of availability as consumers of ELN
> content. I would prefer seeing it go to the mirror network like
> everything else.

It’s not so much that it *cannot* as that we are trying not to overload the
mirror network with content not useful to non-developers.

> Beyond that, this looks pretty good! Thanks for listening and
> incorporating everyone's feedback!

Thanks!