On 07. 04. 20 12:18, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
What I'm confused about is the hangup with versioning the ELN tree.
Why is this a problem?
I explained it in one of the previous threads:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/OQ7BW5RFQDJYLPTB6G5XBZSIYDXKK5AW/

But I guess we need to extend this conversion by answering:
1) versioning of what exactly?
2) versioning by which number?

 From the problem you describe, it looks like the solution for it is to
have %{?dist} resolved to a versioned data. But the versioning here
should be independent from both RHEL and Fedora versioning. It should
be based on changes in eln buildroot configuration itself: As soon as
we want to have a non-disruptive rebuild in eln buildroot, we
increment the number in %{?dist} for eln, and rebuild the same srpm.
And this action is not linked to Fedora or RHEL releases. This number
may as well be the date, or a simple counter.

If we do versioning in this way, then it resolves both concerns I had
in my reply there:
1) we don't try to link to particular RHEL release;
2) we don't version the koji tag and target, and we don't need to
update Koji configuration every time Fedora creates a branch. Thus the
pipelines we create for building eln packages can still be
unversioned.

What you say here is very inconsistent with %{eln} and %{rhel} value. In particular "the versioning here should be independent from RHEL" and "we don't try to link to particular RHEL release" is very weird considering that %{eln} and %{rhel} will evaluate to "next RHEL version".

--
Miro Hrončok