On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 9:34 AM Ty Young <youngty1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The "toolchain" isn't broken, other than Gradle developers not caring
> about backwards compatibility but... It works for them, just as

A toolchain with broken links scattered through it is not toolchain.
Building up the .jar files as a hierarchy from source is not well
supported, and has been vulnerable to many fractions. It's inherent to
object oriented approaches where paying any notice outside your own
momentgary layer of abstraction is considered a violation of your
objectives and an anti-pattern. Many "autobuild as needed tools have
had this problem, including CPAN, pip, ant, maven, and gradle.

I dealt with a lot of this bundling tools for JPackage years ago, and
still deal with it with other tools today, most recently with the
rubygems dependencies for R10K. It's a problem.

> The only thing I remember Gradle downloading when I built it locally is
> a previous beta build in order to build the end final release. Maybe
> there were a few other things I'm forgetting, someone else can correct me.

Build them in "mock", which cuts off network access to the chroot cage
building the software. I suspect you'll be unpleasantly surprised: it
tends to show build-time downloads for rubygems, pip, and maven based
software builds.

> Yeah, no.
>

> My software didn't magically break just for Fedora because of some bug
> in my software. It broke because Fedora decided they wanted to do
> something nearly no Linux distro does... something that has been the
> defacto standard for many years.

> ...and there are plenty of Open Source projects that don't have packages
> yet people contribute to them. This isn't the early 2000 when barely
> anyone has internet and sites like Github didn't exist. Sure, a distro
> package increases visibility still, but it isn't all that matters. Heck,
> the Windows 10 calculator app is sitting at over 1100 contributors right
> now on Github.

Inability or unwillingneds to follow deployment standards is one of
the signs of software that should be avoided. If the authors follow

> The point here is not that upstream should be blindly trusted, but
> rather that downstream's poo **does*** stink and affect other people,
> even those that don't specifically package for your distro.

Well, yes.

Gradle was highly applauded by some developers of my acquaintance. I'm
curious what you find beneficial about it, because I've found it to be
destabilizing.