Hey there,

I noticed that the i3 window manager wasn't available in EPEL8. Before
trying to go through the process of becoming a package maintainer I decided
to try and run it via copr to see how much modification was needed. For
EPEL8 (as opposed to 7) I was able to take the current spec file and, after
creating an EPEL8 copr repo for xcb-util-xrm (
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/djotaku/xcb-util-xrm/), it would
build. But it wouldn't install for it needed some perl packages. So I set
about building those. You can see how far I got in (
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/djotaku/i3wm/packages/), but each
one had one or more dependencies. So I was rapidly along a path towards
having to recreate nearly all of Perl for EPEL8. (Only a slight
exaggeration). Unfortunately, for those, I couldn't just bum the spec file
because they each had a patch that needed to be applied. So I had to
download the repo from pagure, use spectool and mock to create the srpm and
then load that into copr. Quite tedious.

However, the good news is that I never had to make any mods to the spec
files to get them to work for EPEL8. Everything just worked. So...what is
the proper path to get the perl folks to create epel8 branches in their
repos (again, there isn't any additional work needed - at least at this
point in time)? In the long run, I'd definitely like to be a co-maintainer
for i3 for epel8.

Thanks,
--
Eric Mesa