On Tue, 19 May 2020 10:47:57 -0400
Eric Mesa <ericsbinarywo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that the i3 window manager wasn't available in EPEL8. Before
> trying to go through the process of becoming a package maintainer I
> decided to try and run it via copr to see how much modification was
> needed. For EPEL8 (as opposed to 7) I was able to take the current
> spec file and, after creating an EPEL8 copr repo for xcb-util-xrm (
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/djotaku/xcb-util-xrm/), it
> would build. But it wouldn't install for it needed some perl
> packages. So I set about building those. You can see how far I got in
> ( https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/djotaku/i3wm/packages/),
> but each one had one or more dependencies. So I was rapidly along a
> path towards having to recreate nearly all of Perl for EPEL8. (Only a
> slight exaggeration). Unfortunately, for those, I couldn't just bum
> the spec file because they each had a patch that needed to be
> applied. So I had to download the repo from pagure, use spectool and
> mock to create the srpm and then load that into copr. Quite tedious.

Interesting what you say about the perl modules because
perl-common-sense, perl-JSON-XS and perl-Types-Serialiser are available
in the EL-8 Code Ready Builder / PowerTools repo, which is a dependency
of EPEL-8:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL#How_can_I_use_these_extra_packages.3F

Is that repo not enabled in your EPEL-8 configuration?

Paul.