On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 06:16:24PM +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 09:39:47AM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > > Yeah, I think that'd be better then simply dropping them, if it's
> > > reasonably easy to implement. By releasing those updates we make
> > > things a bit nicer for users who are staying on a
> > > now-slightly-but-as-time-goes-on-more-and-more-so out-of-date release,
> > > and we'd be conserving the work of our packagers. But if it would be a
> > > major hassle for infra or releng, then meh.
> > >

> > I think a phased approach would be (hopefully) easy to implement.
> >
> > 1. Stop builds at <date>
> > 2. Stop submitting updates on <date>+1 week
>
>  2½. Push to stable all updates with non-negative karma at <date>+2 weeks?
>
> > 3. Stop allowing pushes to stable on <date>+2 weeks.

I don't think we need a bunch of process here.

How about just saying that the last push will be at 14:00UTC on the last
day of life of the release and maintainers can adjust based on that...

There's all kinds of corner cases that wouldn't be handled by a big
heavy process like above... and it would result in having to remember a
bunch of deadlines instead of just one.

Also, I don't think its good to just push everything at the end.
In some cases, sure, it might be fine, but not others, and we really
should err on the side of caution here because we can't fix anything
after that and the release has been fine for ~18months without update X
anyhow.

kevin