On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 08:54:42AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-06-26 at 11:42 -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> > is interesting, both for the explicit fact that 1,000,000 people had to ask
> > how to exit vi (bad), and for the more subtle implicit fact that, at least
> > 1,000,000
> > people are using vi, got the answer to the question they were looking for
> > (good), and
> > presumably kept using vi (unknown).
>
> Also 1,000,000 people unnecessarily had to answer the same question
> again (bad).

Not to nitpick, but 1,000,000 asked the question.  It only had to be answered
once (or
only answered N times, where N << 10^6, and equal to the number of recorded
unique questions on stackexchange).  I only point it out because the effort in
answering the question is hard, asking the question is easy, especially when its
already been answered, as a quick answer provides, if not a great user
experience, a better one than having to answer it 10^6 times, or not being able
to find an answer at all.

> From this thread you can find at least two people (me and Ben Rosser)
> who definitely didn't keep using vi (my very next questions were
> "what's an easier editor to use?" and "how do I change the default
> editor to something else?"), and are still sufficiently frazzled by the
> experience that we still refuse to. :P
Right, and I acutally think thats great.  You had a problem, you asked the
questions you needed answers to, and solved your problem.  I personally think
the process of identifying whats bothering you, figuring out a solution (by
asking questions, getting answers and experimenting), and then implementing your
fix is actually a pretty good user experience in and of itself (though that may
just be me). :)  It suggests that I know what I'm doing, and I am in control of
the system that I'm working on.  I felt that way the first time that I
downloaded slackware around 1996 and had to figure out how to use ppp to
establish a dial up connection to my university (side note, in those days, the
bits had to travel over the phone line uphill.....both ways) :)

Neil