On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 9:30 AM Roberto Ragusa <m...@robertoragusa.it> wrote:

> On 2020-06-27 10:47, Igor Raits wrote:

> >> ...in a redundant configuration where losing a disk is tolerated by
> >> design
> >> and managing data that have very low vale (mostly pictures of cats
> >> and random chats).
> >>
> >> Filesystem quality must be measured in other conditions: have a
> >> Postgres
> >> on it, financial transactions, random blackouts, etc.
> >
> > Do you run postgres, financial transactions and random blackouts on
> > your laptop / workstation? If so, isn't it just for testing purposes?
> No, but I do run on my laptop/workstation the same technologies that
> have been proven to be good for serious stuff.
> That is the fundamental Linux advantage, or at least has always been,
> and that's why I'm using Linux daily since when other people were
> waiting for the release of Win95.

By that metric, Btrfs qualifies, as it's the default filesystem on
SUSE Linux Enterprise (and has been since 2014). SUSE has built
several products specifically on top of Btrfs, including their
Kubernetes product, which relies on Btrfs features to offer safety and
high performance.

And Facebook runs it for nearly all their infrastructure, as noted by
Josef upthread.

Google uses it to power the Crostini Linux on Chrome OS environment system.

Synology uses it for their NAS products by default since 2016 with DSM 6.0.

I can keep going on, but I think this shows that Btrfs is a mature,
battle-tested filesystem used for *very* serious workloads.