On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 2:46 PM Ben Cotton <bcot...@redhat.com> wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BtrfsByDefault

A few claims (without justification):

There is no "average" Fedora user.

There is no "average" Fedora system.

There is also no "average" workload on the
(non) average system (some people only
use Firefox to access a few web sites, some
run computational fluid dynamics-Monte Carlo
simulations on $20K workstations with petabytes
of disk storage).

The FAANGs are valuable for having both
real world experience at the extremes, and also
the resources to dig deep when necessary,
but while their experience is indicative, they
are also not "average" use cases.

I, personally, have within 10 feet of me in my
residence systems using vfat, ext3/4, xfs,
f2fs, jfs, btrfs, each of which were historically
chosen/tuned for their *specific* use cases and
requirements (although some of the systems,
and/or the specific filesystems, are on their way
out when I have a bit of time, but ENOTIME).

However, those that are (self identified) advanced
users (mostly those commenting here) should be
sufficiently competent to choose what their
created filesystems should be for a new install,
based on their *specific* needs, so they, too,
are not average use cases.

What I think is important is what a new, initial,
non-expert Fedora user will find the best experience.

Conclusion (again, without substantial justification):

And I accept that it is hard to challenge the reality
that that is currently btrfs.

I am in favor of the proposal.

Thank you for asking.