On 30.6.2020 17:15, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
   Hi,

So I can't say I'm thrilled about a future that depends on EFI for
virt, but I'm resigned to the fact this is the direction the world
is taking. So we're not likely to have any choice and will have to
work to mitigate any downsides it brings.
Right.

Preferably the installer should detect and setup the system either with
sd-boot ( if setting equals UEFI ) or grub ( if setting not equals UEFI )
I have my doubts that building on sd-boot and drop grub2 is going to fly.

Grub 2 cant be dropped anytime soon.

One problem with sd-boot is that the kernels must stay on the ESP, which
can be a problem for dual-boot installs (where Fedora has to run with
the existing ESP and can't just create one which is big enouth).

Hmm I dont follow people usually use multiple ESP partition for multiple os installs on the same hw so the size of one esp partion for one OS should not affect the other and there should nothing be preventing that from working except maybe some obscure hw bug from manufactures but I'm not a dual boot person so I would have to test that for myself to figure out any limitations it might have.

Another problem is that grub2 covers more architectures than sd-boot.
What is the plan for armhfp, ppc64, s390x?

The first step ( change proposal ) would simply be about replace grub2 with sd-boot for UEFI strictly on the x86 architecture and see what issue are encountered, solve those then consider moving to different architectures and further integration if relevant.

JBG