On Friday, July 3, 2020 12:15:03 AM MST Nicolas Mailhot via devel wrote:
> Le jeudi 02 juillet 2020 à 15:19 -0500, Martin Jackson a écrit :
>
> > > 5-10 years? A better estimate would be 15-20 years. People aren't
> > > going to
> > > throw away perfectly fine systems and jump to new "cloud" platforms
> > > just
> > > because the OS they were using dropped BIOS support. They'll just
> > > stop
> > > updating, and likely move to something that is still supporting
> > > BIOS,  if they
> > > don't write their own installer and just continue using Fedora,
> > > given that
> > > this is an entirely artificial limitation.
> > >

> > While I completely hear you on the fact that people will often sweat
> > assets for years longer than accounting schedules suggest they
> > should, do you really think they're going to write custom
> > installers???
>

> They’re going to move to forks of Fedora downstreams (as AWS and others
> already did).
>
> (this is not an endorsement of any other position in this thread, I
> hate all our bootloaders equally, they’ve been a lost cause since
> someone decided to hide the bootloader menu in the default install,
> making it something that does not exist… till you need it an realize
> the state it’s in).

Wait, what? I somehow never noticed that the bootloader menu has been hidden.
It's not on my system, so maybe it didn't change upgraded systems?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/HiddenGrubMenu
This is really wild. How in the world did this Change get approved?

"The grub menu with its kernel versions is another example of showing too
technical info to end-users and on non multi-boot systems it normally is not
necessary, so it is better to hide it." has to be the most GNOME thing I've
read today.

Oh, it's just Workstation. That'd explain how I never noticed, and how it got
approved. This would explain the Discourse threads that popped up, asking how
to rescue a system.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.