On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 08:08:48AM -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 07:38, Gerd Hoffmann <kra...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >   Hi,

> > > That's actually awful, in my opinion,
> >
> > Why?  It's nice to have them and I can't see any downsides.
> >

> It isn't that you put the keyboard strokes, it is that you are saying
> you can do a zero-timeout without problems.

Ah, ok.  I meant specifically the hotkey existing.

I clearly can see that hiding the boot menu has its downsides and in
fact most of my machines are configured to show it (and I think server
actually defaults to menu=on, only workstatiion has menu=off by
default).  That is doesn't matter much for the uefi/bios and
grub2/sd-boot discussion though, both boot loaders can be configured
to whatever timeout you like.

> 4. Screen flickering and paused screens. The lenovos I have do weird
> things when attached to external monitors. Screens will stick on
> monitors during the boot up sequence sometimes.. or they will do sync
> tests which drop the entire video for 3-5 seconds at a time.

I have a 4k monitor connected to a intel nuc, and grub has a 30s timeout
there because it takes *ages* for the screen to sync.  And even with the
30s timeout I don't see the menu now and then.

The other extreme are laptop panels which typically sync within the
fraction of a second where all this is not a problem at all.

take care,
  Gerd