On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 01:26:31PM -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> On Monday, July 6, 2020 5:24:32 AM MST Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> > Default fedora disk layout in UEFI mode is partitions for ESP, /boot and
> > LVM.  If you ask for full disk encryption LVM is encrypted, ESP + boot
> > are not.  Which makes sense to me.  Why would you encrypt /boot?  The
> > files you can find there are public anyway, you can download them from
> > the fedora servers.  Encrypting /boot would make the boot process more
> > fragile for no benefit.
>
> I guess that shows how unfamiliar I am with UEFI boot Fedora. You would
> encrypt /boot to ensure that your boot images have not been tampered with,

Well, if that is your concern the answer is secure boot.  That will not
only prevent tampering with /boot files, but also prevent tampering with
the bootloader itself.

> or  config files haven't been read by somebody other than the end
> user.

Hmm, typically that is pretty standard stuff and very simliar on all
fedora installs.  Only the root filesystem uuid differs, and possibly
local tweaks like configuring a serial console.  I can't see how reading
that is of much concern.

> > We could that by using vfat for /boot.  Or by shipping & using xfs.efi,
> > simliar to how apple ships & uses apfs.efi to boot macOS from apfs
> > filesystems.
>
> Is there a notable benefit to using that over GRUB2, which already has
> support on both UEFI and BIOS?

Well, for my day-to-day work it doesn't make much of a difference.  Both
get the job done.

I generally dislike the grub2 config file format.  I'm not going to
repeat all the arguments here which have been mentioned numerous times
already.  With BLS support things became a bit better because for the
most part I can just ignore grub.cfg after install.

I suspect the grub2 maintainers have a different view on this.  They
have to deal with the mess to make sure I don't have to.  And on top
of that getting changes merged upstream to grub2 seems to be a PITA,
leading to a huge stack of patches in the fedora grub2 rpm ...

take care,
  Gerd