On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 02:17:53PM -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:04:01 AM MST Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 at 16:48, John M. Harris Jr <joh...@splentity.com>
> > wrote:
> > > needlessly disables a lot of kernel functionality
> >

> > It disables functionality which can destroy platform security.
>
> It disables functionality that users need, such as inserting their kernel
> modules on their own system, or hibernating to disk. Let's be honest about
> what this does. This is not something that's beneficial here, it's only
> harming our users.

Some users, not all users. Beware of making sweeping generalizations.

I've used Fedora since Fedora Core 5 across countless machines and never
cared about inserting custom kernel modules. Hibernating to disk is not
something I've used on my laptops in probably 10 years either, as suspend
to ram is generally sufficient. Again just my personal experiance.

There's always a tradeoff and it is likely to be different depending on
each users needs. While SecureBoot will disable some functionality it is
not unreasonable to think it is a net win out of the box for a potentially
quite large portion of Fedora's userbase.

Regards,
Daniel