On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 4:07 AM Petr Pisar <ppi...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:15:14PM -0400, Christopher wrote:
> > I was recently asked to provide an EPEL8 version of one of my packages
> > (python-keyring) in a bugzilla, so I did:
> > fedpkg request-branch epel8
> >
> > This opened up two pagure tickets, one each for two branches:
> > epel8
> > epel8-playground
> >
> > After the branches were created, an extra commit was added to the
> > epel8 branch to create a package.cfg file (with a log message that had
> > extra double-quotes around it, for some reason).
> >
> > I have several questions:
> >
> > 1. Why did my request for a single branch automatically result in two
> > separate tickets for two separate branches?
> > 2. What is this '-playground' branch for?
> > 3. Why was an extra commit added to the empty branch that was requested?
> > 4. What is a package.cfg file? Do I need it?
> > 5. (unimportant, but curious) How did the extra quotes get in the
> > commit message that added the package.cfg file?
> >
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/epel-annou...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/KXMMLYSAXAVHDKFFBVEFYYZHPJBWXOQQ/

Thanks, but I'm still confused on a few points.

1. Do I need epel8-playground? I want to keep the task of maintenance
simple, and I don't want to deal with another branch to think about. I
don't want choices, as that adds complexity. I want one simple path,
because packaging is *not* my full time job.
2. Can I remove the 'package.cfg' file? Is it needed? Will everything
work with epel8-testing and going to epel8-stable if this file is
removed? I'd really like to maintain a single git history, rather than
two, and the presence of this file seems to interfere with that.
(Alternatively, if the package.cfg file contained some conditional
directive, like 'if-branch = epel8', which probably should have been
the design, in order to support single git history packages like me,
then I wouldn't mind the file being present in the master/rawhide
branch, but it doesn't.)