On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 7:31 PM Daniel P. Berrangé <berra...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 04:03:46PM +0200, Petr Pisar wrote:

> > > What are you doing different in terms of supporting deps in the module
> > > that reduces the security errata burden, compared to non-modular builds ?
> > >
> > > It feels like if we have some policy that is creating unsustainable
> > > maint burden wrt non-modular packaging, we should re-examine this
> > > policy rather than trying to workaround it by going modular, which
> > > creates a different kind of maint burden.
> > >
> > In non-modular Fedora all packages that we have in Fedora build system
> > (Koji)
> > are tagged into Fedora repositories and made available to all users on their
> > computers for any purpose. That implies that all packages in Fedora build
> > system
> > must be fully supported including addressing all security issues.
> >
> > In modular Fedora that's (effectively) not true. Packages that only exist
> > for the sake of building other packages (i.e. build-only dependencies) can
> > be
> > retained in the Fedora build system and never left it. That means those
> > packages are never made available to Fedora users and thus a service level
> > for
> > them is significantly lower. E.g. no security fixes, not bug fixes, no
> > integration, not tests, no API/ABI stability. The only requirement is that
> > they can be built and used for building other packages.
>
> So conceptually, one way we can solve this problem by implementing a way
> to mark certain non-modular RPMs as "build root only" packages and thus
> composing them into a separate "build root" yum repo, that is not enabled
> by default except in the build system.

Yes. This can also be achieved with on-demand side tags that are
already implemented: "build-only" packages are built in a sidetag and
untagged before sidetag is merged. They never appear in release tags
and they are not shipped to users. Builds can be reproduced locally in
mock with configs generated by "koji mock-config" command.

> Modularity is being used because it is the only solution that is available
> today, not because it is a good/desired solution.

Right. Modularity is definitely not the best solution, and IMHO it
definitely has worse user experience compared to ursine packages.
Modularity is used because it was the only solution available at the
moment the decision (to modularize Maven and Ant) was made. Since then
an alternative solution was developed, but we haven't decided to
switch back to ursine packages yet, although we are considering that.