nss-dns is allright. All you need to have is dns server with domain
configurable servers.

Those are:
- unbound (with dnssec-trigger autoconfigured)
- dnsmasq
- systemd-resolved
- probably knot-resolver
- bind (not more difficult to reconfigure runtime)

Maybe more. It is not about nss, because /etc/resolv.conf does not
support any domain:server-ip tuples. It would work better with local
cache. resolved is not the only possibility. Just use /etc/resolv.conf
set to localhost and configure forwarders in your server from NM (or
networkd).

--
Petr Menšík
Software Engineer