On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 12:34 am, Marius Schwarz <fedora...@cloud-foo.de> wrote:
If you send a DNS REQUEST to a US DNS server from within a company
network, and with ipv6 the internal ip is sent out i learned lately, you
have sent personal data which is protected under the GDRP. It's not
unlikely to use company pcs for private webvisits while having a meal
break.

Hm, thanks for the explanation. I guess the DNS request would indeed be the *first* way you lose, because you have to do DNS before you do anything else. But you are going to lose immediately after anyway:

* Immediately after you connect to the network, Fedora connects to http://fedoraproject.org/static/hotspot.txt to see if you're behind a captive portal * Next, GNOME Software starts checking for updates in the background. You've leaked "personal data" to fedoraproject.org again, and also fwupd. * You open Firefox, it downloads Safe Browsing data from Google. (Admittedly this one is probably only behind a European CDN, but maybe Google is having a bad day, or maybe IP address logs are sent to the US.) Oh yeah, it also displays news from Pocket. Probably it does more connections to the US that I don't know about. * You switch to Financial Mode in Calculator, it downloads exchange rate data.
* Anything crashes. A truncated stack trace gets sent to Fedora.

I'm sure my list is missing quite a lot. If your interpretation is correct, then I suppose German companies should immediately discontinue use of Fedora, and also most other computer operating systems....

Michael