Hm, I'm not quite sure how this is intended to work. This is for resolving VM hostnames into IP addresses? How exactly does it work prior to systemd-resolved? E.g. lets say I have a libvirt VM named "f33", should it be possible to resolve that name somehow from the host system?

Can you do what you want using https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/resolved/ ? Maybe SetLinkDNS for the bridge interface? But you would also need to call SetLinkDomains to ensure queries for a particular domain go to the bridge interface (otherwise, nothing will). You could theoretically, for instance, claim a .libvirt domain, then resolve "f33.libvirt" to the VM's IP?