On 10/7/20 6:44 AM, Pavel Zhukov wrote:

> I don't think it's a good idea.
> dnsmasq is not dns resolver but acts as DHCP and DNS server. It provides
> VMs with IP
> address/lease and create corresponding dns record for it. In case of
> resolved ip addresses and dns records must be managed either manually
> or... with dnsmasq.

That is not true. Any query sent to @192.168.122.1 would get reply. I
use for example unbound on localhost and all my machines use .vm. domain
suffix. rhel7.vm. is machine with rhel7. Dnsmasq manages automatically
lease names of all its dhcp clients, it works as dynamic DNS connected
with DHCP just out of the box.

unbound-control forward_add +i vm 192.168.122.1

Or permanent configuration in /etc/unbound/conf.d/vm.conf:
server:
domain-insecure: "vm"
domain-insecure: "122.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA"

forward-zone:
        name: "vm"
        forward-addr: 192.168.122.1
        forward-first: no

forward-zone:
        name: "122.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA"
        forward-addr: 192.168.122.1
        forward-first: no

Then I used in virsh edit-network default, inside <network> element:
  <domain name='vm' localOnly='yes'/>

dnsmasq is not full resolver, just like systemd-resolver. It just
forwards queries it does not have answer to /etc/resolv.conf forwarders.
If systemd-resolved does not running on the host, it also offers working
DNSSEC environment to all VMs.

Since systemd-resolved can do split DNS, it is able to do that also. But
it seems current domain redirection is private API for NM.
It might work:

resolvectl domain virbr0 ~vm

But haven't tested it. I am not sure how permanent configuration should
look like in resolved.conf. Can it be configured to forward specific
domain to specific server? It seems to me it expects such think only per
interface, which might work with libvirt too.

--
Petr Menšík
Software Engineer