On 11/4/20 3:34 PM, Tom Hughes wrote:
On 04/11/2020 20:31, Tom Stellard wrote:
On 11/4/20 3:22 PM, Tom Hughes wrote:
On 04/11/2020 19:46, Tom Stellard wrote:
On 11/4/20 2:10 PM, Tom Hughes via devel wrote:

Also I'm suspicious about the quality of that list because it
includes packages of mine that only use make via cmake and which
do BR cmake which in turn requires make.

For the purposes of this proposal, your packages still need to BuildRequires: make.  I don't want to depend on this kind of indirect dependency to keep things working, because it can be fragile.

So instead I'm supposed to somehow know what tools the tools
that I use choose to invoke under the covers? Where does that
insanity end exactly? Do I have to require gas because gcc
will use it to assemble the code it generates?

No, in that case gcc needs to Require: gas, because it is a run-time
dependency of that package.

CMake will still work if make is not installed.  Packages that use
cmake + Ninja should require those packages, and packages that use
cmake + make should require those packages too.

I don't choose either. I just run cmake and it chooses what to
use as it's default build tool. If I told it to use a specific
build tool then I would see your point, but for the default one
it seems reasonable that it should require it as it has made
the decision to use it.

Ok, I think this is a fair point especially after the f33 change were we are now using cmake --build and cmake --install instead of invoking make directly.

The only issue is if cmake changes make to be a weak dependency can we still rely on this? Do brew builds automatically install weak dependencies?

If the change was automated and you did not have to do anything would you still be opposed to having your spec files updated with BuildRequires: make

-Tom

Otherwise if cmake was to change it's default to ninja then
every package would have to be changed not just one...

Tom