On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 01:05:49AM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > We have been over this. If anyone could untag anything they felt like it
> > would make it much more difficult for everyone to integrate their
> > changes with the rest of the collection.
>
> That issue is simply not something we have observed at any time back when
> this untagging was still allowed. (And it was even possible as self-service
> without involving rel-eng at all, because the Rawhide tag used to be open

Actually it was... perhaps you just weren't affected?

> before gating was introduced.) In the worst case, if some build(s) depends
> on the untagged build(s), the dependent build(s) can simply be untagged as
> well.

Sure, but that wastes other peoples work, demotivates them from working
on things and in general makes things unhappy.

> It is definitely possible to revert to a consistent state, because one such
> consistent state trivially exists: the one where *all* builds built after
> the untagged build get untagged as well. But the minimal set of builds to
> untag is typically much smaller, if it is even larger than a singleton (a
> set consisting only of the one build you want to untag to begin with). If
> the untagged package is a leaf package, the set is even guaranteed to be a
> singleton (but that is not even a necessary condition, only a sufficient
> condition).

Sure, you can revert, but the longer you wait the more work has been
done by others on top of what you are reverting. I agree there are some
rare times when it's ok to do this, but just letting anyone do this
anytime they like could make things worse for everyone IMHO.

Anyhow, I guess lets agree to disagree...

kevin