On Fri, 2020-11-20 at 11:19 +0100, Marius Schwarz wrote:
> Am 19.11.20 um 23:42 schrieb Adam Williamson:
> > The chat history persistence - and seamless use across devices - is a
> > huge advantage. The other advantage is that you can sign up for and use
> > this system simply and entirely in a web browser, a process people are
> > comfortable with. It is similar to systems they may well already be
> > familiar with, like Slack and Discord. People are not comfortable with
> Discord is the best example on how to not have an age old history. If
> you have joined only one of those, you get blinded by blinking
> emotiocons, animgifs  etc.
>
> That is the opposite of helpful while discussing important things. In a
> Hello Kitty context, as entertainment, it may have it's usecase for
> those impacted.

*shrug* I disagree. I'm on quite a few discord servers and I enjoy it.
Reactions, in particular, are super useful because they let people do
simple stuff like registering amusement or agreement with something
without having to actually send a message themselves.

It is also useful for keeping up with the zoomers. We're all going to
be yelling at clouds some day, but I like to try and delay it as much
as possible. :P

(also note there's nothing stopping people sending emoticons over IRC,
at least if the server and client both support UTF-8...)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey