On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 07:20:20PM +0000, Gargoyle wrote:
> Nope. I couldn't disagree more. If there's a long tail of unmaintained
> software without commercial gains, then it should be left to die in the
> great software graveyard. Feel free to keep a copy of F32 kicking around for
> when you want to run it, but it should not be a reason to stifle progress.

So "Progress" means "Proposing to force everyone to use software that
doesn't even work right now, and won't be ready until (at best) a month
before the F34 Beta Freeze"

...Right...

Maybe while we're at it we should make Fedora require AVX2, because
supporting those old CPUs is clearly "stifiling progress"?

Nobody is saying "never" to pipewire; we are saying "not now", because
*it can't be tested right now* and won't likely be ready for actual
testing until (optimisticly) about a month before the F34 beta freeze.

To say nothing for the time needed to actually find and fix issues on
the long tail of deployed hardware and software. That, to me, is a
glaring sign that this proposal is _very_ premature.

Fedora took years before switching to Wayland by default, and that was
something that had a far greater upside than this does.

> Yes. And Microsoft get paid a lot of money to build it that way. There's a
> commercial gain to be had justifying employing people to keep that
> compatibility going.

Are you volunteering to do all of this coding/porting yourself?  If not,
why do you seem to believe that developer time is without cost?

I hate to break it to you, but 98% of what is in Fedora is "without
commercial gains" -- and I can promise you that one year is nowhere near
enough time to fix up everything that Fedora ships, much less the long
tail of F/OSS that isn't packaged.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                        pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)