On Fri, Jan 01, 2021 at 06:51:15PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Jerry James writes:
>  > On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 5:37 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
>  > <zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
>
>  > > Normally, I'd be in favour of "dragging out" the removal a bit, but
>  > > in this case I think we don't need to, because of the relatively
>  > > close replacement and the small number of users.
[snip useful technical details]

> I would expect that most Emacsen users have moved to
> Emacs for that reason.

I really wish we had something like popcon.

> Jerry James writes:
> My reasoning for this change proposal was two-fold.  First, it
> prevents the scope of the work from creeping while I'm trying to
> remove all of the XEmacs-related bits from Fedora.  Second, it may
> flush out anybody who will say, "You can pry my XEmacs from my cold
> dead fingers!"  If anybody like that appears, then I get to say, "Well
> then, you get to maintain it!" and hand over the packages. :-)

Just marking packages as deprecated is unlikely to be noticed by those
users, it's mostly visible internally for packagers. I'd say that a
clear "XEmacs will be removed" change that will be amplified by linux media
is more likely to be noticed.

But anyway, I don't think there's much to add here at this point. Let's
wait to see if more voices appear after the holiday break is over.

Zbyszek