Dne 09. 02. 21 v 10:08 Roberto Ragusa napsal(a):
On 2/8/21 10:46 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Being devils advocate, but should we have the memtest86 or similar by default? I have certainly not used this feature in my 10+ yeas with Fedora.
I've not used GNOME in my 18 years with Fedora (plus 5 pre-Fedora).
Can we consider removing it?

Have you installed Gnome by default? You probably went with KDE spin or some other spins so Gnome was never part of your system.

Better example would be if you argued that KDE should be installed for every Gnome user even though they don't use it.

Vít

(Apologies if you are using some other desktop or if you are not using desktop at all. I just picked up KDE as the second most popular desktop choice).

Having memtest86 saved my life just a few months ago: random crashes, apparently caused by pressing
in the middle of the keyboard.

It was able to demonstrate _live_ that the pressure was causing bit flips. Press, errors, don't press, no more errors (including appearance/disappearance of vertical bands
in the display, because of integrated chipset, VRAM=RAM).

Opened the laptop, reseated two DIMMs, TESTED AGAIN, TESTED AGAIN, shaken the laptop,
TESTED AGAIN, no problem anymore since then.

Regards.