* Florian Weimer:

> * Neal Gompa:
>
>> None of this had to be this way. It is so by our own inaction, not by
>> the action of Microsoft.
>
> I agree.  No one but Microsoft stepped up and was willing to control the
> key material.
>
> I still wish we went the way of documenting how to disable Secure Boot
> in commonly used firmware implementations.  Secure Boot does not offer
> any benefit to a platform designed to be as malleable as Fedora is.  I
> tried to start that documentation, but I got the distinct impression it
> was unwanted.
>
> Instead run-time disabling of Secure Boot support without reboot comes
> and goes, particularly in downstream kernels.  Kernel modules are such
> an important diagnostic tool, and not everyone plans ahead and disables
> Secure Boot in case they need to load kernel modules later.

(“run-time disabling of kernel lockdown“ is more accurate—but of course
if there's an off switch for this feature, lockdown isn't very effective
in the first place.)

--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael O'Neill