On 14.03.21 19:24, Fabio Valentini wrote:
On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Sandro Mani <manisan...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 14.03.21 10:15, Dan Horák wrote:
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 09:50:42 +0100
Sandro Mani <manisan...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 14.03.21 01:39, Orion Poplawski wrote:
On 3/6/21 4:52 PM, Sandro Mani wrote:
Hi

I'll be updating proj to 8.0.0, first in F35 in a side tag and then F34.

I'll rebuild the following dependent packages:

gdl
vtk
I've added patches for proj 8 support to these packages and submitted
builds in the side tag.
Thanks a lot!

Quick status update: Still needing porting are gdl, qmapshack and
python-cartopy (and possibly pcl, which depends on VTK).
I haven't checked the details yet, but there is some work being done on
proj usage in qmapshack in their git.
Thanks, the latest git snapshot builds successfully with proj 8.
Please don't take this the wrong way - I do not want to tell you how
to do your work.
That said, wouldn't it have been easier and less stressful for
everybody involved to figure out the compatibility issues and
necessary patches to dependent packages *before* starting to submit
package builds, e.g. in a COPR?
Keeping side tags around for weeks takes up precious resources in
koji, and increases the likelihood of conflicts when merging the side
tag back into rawhide (and it's a *bit* late to do big updates like
this for F34, too).

I accept the blame here, I didn't closely enough follow the proj developments to realize that the old API was not removed in proj-7, but in proj-8. I'm not going to land this in F34 at this point given how intrusive this change is. Apologies for not doing my homework properly and thanks to all of you who have helped out!

Sandro