On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 11:05 AM Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com> wrote:
> First of all: Thanks. This is what many of us wanted from the beginning
> of ELN and this will allow us to crop many of our unwanted dependencies
> for RHEL 10+, already in ELN.
>
> An automation that cherry-picks (rather than merges) Rawhide changes
> into ELN would be even more helpful. In Python Maint, we have some
> semi-automatic tools ready; let me know in case you want to explore them.

If you've already got tools that can help with this, I'm all ears!

> I however do have several concerns to discuss:
>

> 1) During the RHEL 9 development cycle, the process was more or less:
>
>       ELN -> Fedora 34 -> CentOS Stream 9
>
> Do we assume similar concept for RHEL 10? I.e.:
>
>       ELN -> Fedora 40-ish -> CentOS Stream 10
>
> If so, every change we make in ELN will be de-facto overridden by the
> sync from Fedora branched and hence making changes in the ELN branch
> will not help our RHEL-related work much. Or am I missing something?

Hmm, that is indeed an interesting question. I don't want to give an
off-the-cuff answer (it deserves more thought), but we *will* need to
address this. The time period in question (when Rawhide and the Fedora
we intend to branch from has diverged) is complicated. This time
around, we let ELN stay with Rawhide and used F34 as source for the
sync to EL9 until F34 Final Freeze, but indeed if some packages are
going to be tracked independently via an ELN branch, that gets...
trickier.

Of course, this time around we were also rushing to get the
infrastructure in place for CentOS Stream 9, which will already be
available for EL 10... so maybe the answer here is to just go directly
from ELN into CentOS Stream 10 at the Fedora 40 Branch point? It means
a bit more manual syncing from Fedora during that time period, but
that might not be too painful.

We have a couple years to think this through; thanks for bringing it up.

> 2) Who opts in for the eln branch and who is responsible for keeping it
> up to date? For cases where the Fedora and RHEL maintainers are the same
> people, it is obviously them. But what about other cases? E.g.:
>
>   1. Fedora maintainer of package foo refuses RHEL-only changes.
>   2. RHEL maintainer of foo requests an eln branch.
>   3. Fedora maintainer frequently updates foo in Rawhide.
>   4. RHEL maintainer does not care about foo in Fedora for 2 years.
>   5. The package in ELN is much older than the Rawhide one.
>
> I think this could be solved by policy. Something like "If the eln
> branch is neglected (needs to be well defined), the package switches
> back to the rawhide branch."

I think we can make the policy super-simple: every package on ELN gets
forcibly re-synced to Rawhide on the day we fork to CentOS Stream.
Each new major release reset, we require them to request to diverge
the sync again.

> 3) Similarly, assume foo has opted in for an eln branch. The Fedora
> packager maintainer walks away and foo is adapted by another maintainer
> who wants to maintain %if-spaghetti rather than 2 distinct branches. How
> do they opt out? Do we "archive" the eln branch until it is requested
> again? Or do we merge rawhide and eln branches, sot hey have the same
> HEAD and than turn eln into a symbolic reference?

I think archiving the ELN branch is probably the simplest approach
here. All we need to do is flip the auto-rebuild configuration back
over to stop excluding the package and the next Rawhide build will
trigger an ELN build again.