On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 12:54 PM Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Of course, this time around we were also rushing to get the
> > infrastructure in place for CentOS Stream 9, which will already be
> > available for EL 10... so maybe the answer here is to just go directly
> > from ELN into CentOS Stream 10 at the Fedora 40 Branch point? It means
> > a bit more manual syncing from Fedora during that time period, but
> > that might not be too painful.
>
> If the manual sync is easy (no bugzillas flags required), I would say
> that is the way to go. It eliminates one extra "why is the workflow
> changing every week" moment. It also no longer encourages the RHEL
> maintains to push their changes to Fedora branched in the same time
> windows when we try to stabilize it.

Yeah, I was becoming more confident in that idea the longer I typed. I
think that is probably what we will end up doing.

> > I think we can make the policy super-simple: every package on ELN gets
> > forcibly re-synced to Rawhide on the day we fork to CentOS Stream.
> > Each new major release reset, we require them to request to diverge
> > the sync again.
>
> That sounds really harsh towards the maintainers who actually do keep
> the eln branch up to date all the time. We would wipe their changes
> every 3 years, and they would need to reintroduce them again.

Oh, I didn't mean we would clobber the `eln` branch, we'd just flip
the switch to re-enable Rawhide builds (with a loud announcement).
We'd accept requests at that time to *not* flip the switch for their
project, or they could do so at any time afterwards. This would leave
the `eln` branch exactly as it was; and if they request not to sync,
they can resume from there.

I view this as an easy way to do two things at once:
1) See who is still actively maintaining their project for ELN and
reset it if they aren't.
2) Make it a no-op for anyone who wants to jump back on the Rawhide
train (even if only for some number of months until they freeze it
again).

> >> 3) Similarly, assume foo has opted in for an eln branch. The Fedora
> >> packager maintainer walks away and foo is adapted by another maintainer
> >> who wants to maintain %if-spaghetti rather than 2 distinct branches. How
> >> do they opt out? Do we "archive" the eln branch until it is requested
> >> again? Or do we merge rawhide and eln branches, sot hey have the same
> >> HEAD and than turn eln into a symbolic reference?
> >>

> > I think archiving the ELN branch is probably the simplest approach
> > here. All we need to do is flip the auto-rebuild configuration back
> > over to stop excluding the package and the next Rawhide build will
> > trigger an ELN build again.
>
> However, when looking at the package source, it should be really obvious
> that the eln branch is no longer used for ELN. Otherwise it will be very
> confusing for people who want to contribute.

True... maybe we dead.package the `eln` branch if they don't request
to retain it ahead of time. They can always do a git revert to bring
it back to life later.