On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 10:22 PM Eike Rathke <er...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Fabio,
>
> On Monday, 2021-05-31 18:53:35 +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
>
> > > Has someone also encountered severe performance issues in certain rooms
> > > in Element (a room taking minutes of full CPU usage to load)? I saw it in
> > > the past rarely as well, but in the last few days I encountered it in at
> > > least half the rooms I was connected to.
> >
> > Yes, I think that's a known issue for "plumbed" rooms like "Fedora
> > Devel" / #fedora-devel, where there's a lot of Join / Leave messages
> > from the IRC side. Those rooms are quite unusable in the element web
> > client, and if I need to look at them, I open them in the element
> > Android app (which does not seem to have this performance problem),
> > and other Matrix clients (like Fractal) also don't seem to have that
> > particular issue.
>
> Maybe it helps in Element Web, Settings, Preferences, to deactivate
> "Show join/leave messages (invites/kicks/bans unaffected)"

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already had that setting turned off for months.

Weirdly enough, turning it *back on* seems to make performance of the
#fedora-devel room more bearable. It's still very very bad -
considering this is running on a recent top-of-the-line 8-core CPU
from 2021 ... the join/leave messages add a lot of noise, but at least
opening #fedora-devel doesn't make Firefox freeze for half a minute 😅

Fabio