On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 11:43:52AM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 05. 08. 21 v 18:47 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek napsal(a):
> >On Thu, Aug 05, 2021 at 04:45:31PM +0200, Petr Menšík wrote:
> >>Depends on how many maintainers should fix their package, more below.

> >>Does it bother users to include new dependencies during upgrades? I
> >>would not certainly notice when I upgrade ~500 packages every week.
> >>Annoying to how many package maintainers? Would owning those directories
> >>by every package using those directories would be less annoying?
> >>
> >>Alternative would be moving these empty directories into systemd-libs,
> >>which is installed in fedora:rawhide podman container. It seems also in
> >>mock build environments. No public visible changes, what would you think?
> >>
> >>[root@8fec9bc0b895 /]# rpm -qf /usr/lib/systemd/system/
> >>file /usr/lib/systemd/system is not owned by any package

> >>What I don't like about this approach, it would result in ~1600 times
> >>single line for every package delivering some unit file. Or the same
> >>number of rules violation. Versus single package change working for all
> >>of them. I admit it would mean your package should be updated instead of
> >>mine (and others). I would update it if I were in your position.
> >But most of those 1600 packages would need to add
> >Requires:systemd-filesystem.
> >(As discussed earlier in the thread, no Requires:systemd dependency is
> >needed nowadays.)
> >
> >N.B.: If we're going to add a line to 1600 packages, I think it's much better
> >to add one line in %files
>

> Not expert on systemd or unit files, but if there is some directory
> structure, where there is basically just one file, isn't it better
> to own some of the top levels of the directory structure instead of
> the specific file? Maybe the guidelines should be updated to specify
> the package should own %_unitdir instead of the unit file.

The guidelines already specify that. (They say that package must either
depend on a package that owns the directory, which would generally be
systemd, though there are other packages which co-own the directory,
or own the directory itself.) We're discussing how to satisfy this without
depending on systemd. Björn's idea of adding it to filesystem I think is
the most reasonable solution.

Zbyszek