* Jeremy Linton:

> Hi,
>
> On 8/17/21 2:06 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Jeremy Linton:
>>
>>> That said, there as you mention various rpm/package build/etc problems
>>> caused by `uname -m` returning armv8.
>> Is this something that can be changed with setarch?  It works on
>> other
>> architectures (at least on x86 and POWER).
>
> Beyond the defaults? I don't know how to pull that off. You get three
> differing unames on a armv8 machine that supports aarch64 and aarch32.
>
> 32-bit kernel armv7l
> 64-bit kernel 64-bit process, aarch64
> 64-bit kernel 32-bit process (or via setarch), armv8l
>
> Trying to force the 64-bit kernel to armv7l via compat/etc just
> results in the armv8 moniker. This is probably fixable/etc, or there
> is a way I don't know about off hand.

On x86-64, it similar, i686 cannot be downgraded:

# setarch i586 uname -m
i686

This makes me wonder if we have to fix RPM etc. instead to cope with
armv8l.  Maybe it's working already.

I do think that switching to 64-bit kernels on builders is a
prerequisite for continuing to build armhfp.

Thanks,
Florian